Barry has now retired but is still very much a part of the Activities Abroad family and is looking forward to spending his retirement exploring and relaxing in some fantastic destinations around the world!
Barry was raised and educated in Bournemouth and made his way north in 1983 after spending three years studying history at Liverpool University, where he graduated with a degree in History. Following his first role in customer service and sales management, he has been with Activities Abroad since the beginning and has aided the development of many destinations.
Barry also enjoyed sharing his travel experiences with the other members of the sales team.
It was in January 2002 that Barry found himself standing by Lake Maurici in the Catalan Pyrenees and realised that he had hit the jackpot for the company’s first family activity holiday. Many years later it is still used as the template for all other holidays. The experience made him realise that the success of any holiday is dependent on the character and professionalism of the guides. Along with the local people involved, the activities themselves and finding locations that were not ‘tourist traps’. It is a formula that has served the company well and coincidentally, as a father, he was able to see the holiday through the eyes of both parents and children. His son, now in his twenties, has taken part in 11 holidays.
- White water rafting in the Pyrenees
- Canyoning in Slovenia
- Hiking in Paklenica National Park in Croatia
- Mountain biking in Turkey
- Taking part in a thrilling husky sledding experience in Harriniva
- Snowmobiling in Inari
- Visiting the stunning Lulea Archipelago
- Catalan Pyrenees
- Costa Rica
- Lake District
- Finland: Harriniva Jeris Torassieppi Kittila Menesjärvi Nellim Inari Luosto Kuusamo Ranua Saija Kuhmo Ruka
- Sweden: The IceHotel® Abisko Tarendo Lappeasuando Kiruna
- Norway: Kirkenes The Snowhotel Alta The Igloo Hotel Karasjok Tromsø Lofoten Islands Spitsbergen Bergen Trondheim North Cape
- South Africa