The Activities Abroad Blog

Brexit - Some advice for travellers


As a UK-based travel company, we know that the issue of Brexit is something that is of concern for all the families that travel with us.

That is why we have decided to answer some of the common questions to help explain what Brexit might mean for your travel plans after 29 March 2019 when Great Britain is set to leave the EU.

Q) Will flights still operate after Brexit?

The short answer is YES. UK citizens can rest assured that regardless of whether a deal is in place or not, flights will still operate between the UK and the EU. If a deal is agreed then there will be a transition period until the end of December 2020, meaning everything will stay the same. Moreover, even in the case of a no-deal scenario, the European Commission has already stated that,

" flights will still operate between the UK and EU, and a visa is not required."

So, in short, there is no need to worry about your family holiday with us being cancelled due to grounded flights because of Brexit, regardless of whether a deal is achieved or not.

Q) Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

The simple answer is no, you shouldn’t need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit. The European Commission announced in November 2018 that even in a no-deal scenario, travellers from the UK can still visit countries in the EU without needing a visa, providing the same is offered to EU citizens visiting the UK.

The European Commission has also stated that from 2021, all non-EU citizens will need to pay a fee (of around €7) every three years for this visa exemption as part of a new European Travel Information and Authorisation System, similar to the US ESTA regime.

Q) What happens if I book a holiday after 29 March 2019 and it cannot go ahead due to Brexit?

Until we have an unequivocal statement to the contrary, we are planning to run all holidays as planned post-March 2019.  Should this stance change then we will, of course, refund anybody who cannot travel but, we do not envisage such circumstances occurring because of Brexit.

Indeed, these instances highlight why you should book with a fully bonded Tour Operator such as Activities Abroad as we are obliged to refund any monies paid for holidays should we be unable to run them. Additionally, clients' monies are fully financially protected by ATOL and ABTA.

It is worth keeping in mind that if you book a flight, hotel or other services directly with the suppliers, you will not be protected to the same extent, if at all.

Q) Will Brexit change anything regarding my passport?

When travelling to the EU after 29 March 2019, the UK government has recommended that you have at least six months left on your passport on the date of your arrival in the EU.

It is also worth checking when your passport was renewed. If you renewed a 10-year adult passport before it expired, extra months may have been added to your new passport’s expiry date. However, these extra months won’t count towards the 6 months that must be remaining on your passport so it may be necessary to renew your passport before you travel in this instance.

Full details on renewing your passport can be found here

Q) Will Brexit stop me driving abroad?

At present as long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t need an additional licence to drive in the EU. However, in the event of a no-deal scenario this is likely to change and UK travellers looking to drive in the EU after the 29 March 2019 may need to apply for the relevant International Driving Permit.

These cost £5.50 and can be picked up from the AA, RAC or specific branches of the Post Office. You will need to check carefully which permit is required for each country you intend to drive in as you may need more than one permit.

More information is available here

Q) Will I be able to drive my own car abroad after Brexit?

In a no-deal scenario, UK citizens driving their own vehicles within the EU would be required to obtain and carry a physical Green Card in order for your UK car insurance to be valid in the EU. These cards would be issued by your own insurer and may be charged a small administration fee.

If you are planning on embarking on a self-drive holiday with us in the EU after 29 March 2019, we would recommend that you speak to your insurer for more information about obtaining a Green Card.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact our Family Travel Experts who would be happy to help answer your queries. Alternatively, ABTA has put together some helpful information regarding Brexit that you can find here.


Read 1402 times Last modified on Friday, 07 May 2021

    Created by families for families

    Experience real adventures enjoyed safely

    Family friendly destinations and accommodation

    Maximising your precious family time


    Family time, not screen time

    Family memories to treasure

    For toddlers, young children, teenagers & adults alike

    Enjoy the company of like-minded families


    Family owned and run

    Proudly Independent

    Personal, hands-on service

    Fair and sustainable work ethos


    We research the holidays so you don’t have to

    ATOL and ABTA Financial protection available

    Customers rate us 4.8/5 Stars

    Award-Winning: Best Travel Company for Adventure Holidays 2023

MrZenTravel Website Development

We use cookies to help us provide a better service for you. By continuing to use this site you agree to the use of cookies. Click here for more information